Social Media Brand Abuse Explained
Imposters with malicious intent are turning to social media as a simple method of social engineering for a variety of purposes. They would normally establish trust and gain a large number of followers by regurgitating genuine news and information, before using the profile for a malicious purpose.
Some of the potential uses for a fake social media profile are to:
- Direct customers to a phishing site to gain login information
- Direct customers to a drive by download malware site to infect their machine
- Sell communication or a contact list of a company’s customers (followers) to a competitor
- Communicate false information in an attempt to influence the share price of a company, or;
- Simply sell a successful social media profile for a brand back to the legitimate brand owner.
The Costs of Social Media brand abuse
Social media brand impersonation could have financial impact on a company, but whatever its uses, it is likely to do serious damage to a brand’s reputation. The risks of not acting on social media brand abuse are:
- Financial losses
- Damaged reputation
- Aggravated customers
It is critical that corporations address the potential risks of social media brand impersonation, which could lead to direct financial losses, market share loss, brand reputation damage, and at the extreme, the potential collapse of the company.
Take Control of Social Media
Don’t be caught out by a professional social media impersonator. FraudWatch International provides a comprehensive solution to monitor hundreds of popular global, and localised social media sites for fake social media profiles impersonating the client’s brand. Our monitoring and detection will alert the client to a potential social media impersonated profile for confirmation by the client prior to taking down.
Fraudwatch are experts in eliminating social media threats
Here is how we do it..
Latest News Articles and Corporate Information
- A Look into Vishing Scams on the Rise In today’s world of online communications there are a number...
- Most people are aware of what phishing emails are and know not to click on links in emails. You kn...
- The rise of social media has been fast and furious and many businesses benefit greatly from having a...